Monday, May 23, 2011

Song #4 is here!

That's it. Papers over, pencils down. Sign it, stamp it, ship it. Stick a fork in me, 'cause I'm done.

Seriously though, enough is enough. There comes a point where I just have to cut myself off. Am I 100% satisfied by the end product? No. But if I demanded that, there never would be an end product. I also find I can start to make things worse as I continue dwelling on elements of it. This tune was difficult to mix; I suspect it may have required a lot more adjustments to faders and EQ's, more than my amateur attempt at engineering could achieve. It may not be perfect, but it at least captures the spirit of what I was going for and won't make anyone wish they were born without ears (I hope). And when it comes right down to it, I can always come back to a song later if it turns out it's worth coming back to.

Anyway, on with the song.

Wishbone

Creative Commons License

I'm not entirely sure where this song came from. I believe at the time I was thinking about Hokum tunes. The euphemisms and innuendo are certainly included, but looks like I left out the humour. Oh well...

I didn't have a funky groove in mind when I initially conceived of the song, but somehow my love of early ZZ Top - numbers like "Just Got Paid" and "Cheap Sunglasses" - worked its way in, especially in the modulations during the solo. When I grow up, I'm going to play just like the Reverend Billy Gibbons (this is assuming that life expectancies are dramatically increased through medical advances, and adulthood now starts at 95). Where the rest of the sound of this tune came from, I don't know.

Time to continue on. Hopefully it won't be anywhere near as long for the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment