Sunday, July 3, 2011

The Fight is Over

So, the results from Song Fight! were posted a few days ago. Out of 17 entrants, I placed in a 4-way tie for 4th. For what I created, I'm happy with that. There were some killer songs put forth by the top three finishers. The three artists I shared my ranking with were great as well, and I feel pleased to be put in their company.

The feedback I received from my fellow competitors and site regulars was nice to get. Many praised the general vibe of the tune, as well as the lyrical content. On the criticism side, not everyone was keen on the murky-sounding guitar tone I used. And while the comparisons from some to musicians such as Tom Waits, Leonard Cohen, and Nick Cave were meant as compliments, others felt the song wasn't very original sounding. Both are fair assessments. My choice in guitar tone isn't going to appeal to everyone, and not everyone is going to be impressed by a traditional-sounding 8-bar blues.

Based on that, would I have done things differently? Not much, but maybe a little. If I were to come back to this tune in the future, I'd definitely get a bit more experimental with it.

Overall, Song Fight! was pretty neat to do, and I'll definitely be trying it again down the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment