Thursday, March 17, 2011

Behind the Scenes, and Things to Come

Since I haven't really shared any details about this month's venture so far, it's about time.

As I hinted at, it's a gritty, bluesy tune.  A while back I downloaded a collection of freely available drum loops.  While sifting through them, I came across a slow, distorted loop that sounded like it was recorded in an echoing garage on a cheap tape player.  Raw, ragged, and rumbling, I knew I had to find something to do with it.  I've tried to make sure everything else matches that vibe.  The vocals are given a lo-fi, "bullhorn"-like treatment; guitars echo through amps that sound like any minute they could produce a loud 'pop', followed by billowing of smoke.

The one big issue has been the lyrics.  When I worked out the melody, specifically the chorus, I ended up sticking in "placeholder" lyrics.  Much like Paul McCartney using "Scrambled eggs" in what would eventually become "Yesterday", the words "White noise machine" popped into my head while singing it.  Don't ask me where it came from, I have no idea.  Now, here's the problem: try as I might, I can't seem to replace it.  Nothing I come up with seems right.  I'm very nervous that the title of the track you'll be getting this month will be "White Noise Machine", as McCartney described the song being kicked around for months, and I have a strong suspicion he might be better than me.  It's times like this I wish I had some other fleshed-out ideas I could fall back on.  Oh well...

Okay, now for the things to come.  In addition to another tune next month, there's  a couple things I want to take care of:
  • This blog could probably use some improvements.  At the moment it's pretty well just the default, out-of-the-box setup.
  • I've been using the same recording software for all this.  Next month I'm going to try using something different and see how it compares.
  • So far I've just been hosting the songs on Dropbox.  While that's been fine, I've been wondering whether something like Soundcloud would have some advantages.
That's it for now.  Hopefully the lyrics can pull themselves together and I'll have something good for you in a week or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment