Saturday, March 26, 2011

The Next Song has Arrived!

Alright, it's finally here. As you can see, I've switched things up a bit and now moved my songs onto SoundCloud; I'm going to update the older posts in the next day or so. Hopefully it doesn't give anyone trouble. For those unfamiliar with the SoundCloud widget, the download button is on the right hand side of the widget.

White Noise Machine

Creative Commons License

If you read my last post on the subject of this song, you'll see that I never managed to shake the 'placeholder' title. But in writing a set of safety lyrics in case I couldn't come up with anything else- written from the perspective of a man being driven insane by his neighbour's loud sleep aid - I found they actually fit the laid back, trudging feel of the song better than anything else I was coming up with. So, I stuck with it.

I like to think of this tune as my "garage" song. Years ago when I was still playing in a band, we never really made any rehearsal recordings, which is kind of disappointing now that I look back. We didn't do too much in the way of originals, but we did a few. Leaving this song unpolished with its warts and blemishes is my effort to see if I can capture that raw, shaky sound of an idea trying to be worked out, which is probably quite fitting as I think this tune is still at that stage.

I won't say anything more for now, but in a few days I'll likely do another "tools of the trade" post, along with some explanation of the choices and approaches I made when putting this song together.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome!!

    I was immediately thrown back to the Monterey Pop festival of 1967 (I saw the movie). This song fits in perfectly! What a groove.

    ReplyDelete